Tuesday, May 12, 2009

TED pick: Idea + Square = Origami

This is a post that's definitely close to my heart.

When I was just a small boy, my mother taught me how to fold a square piece of paper into a paper samurai hat. It was a miracle on many levels. Ever since then, I've been impressing my caucasian friends with my skills in Japanese paper folding.

Then one day I stumbled upon a presentation on TED.com by a westerner by the name of Robert Lang (not Robert Langdon from the Da Vinci Code) who utilizes math and engineering principles to create mind blowing creations. He starts with cute animals and works his way up to Mitsubishi car commercials and space exploration.

It's important to note that all of Lang's creations are made with only 1 square piece of paper.

Instead of committing seppuku (when a samurai commits suicide out of shame), spend time roughly 16 minutes and watch this presentation at TED.com

Watch the presentation

~tyukawa

No comments: